The ATELJE 212 Theater was founded on November 12, 1956. In its first years, performances were performed in an adapted hall of the old “Borba”. When he became the director of the Atelje, Bojan Stupica conceived and prepared plans for the construction of a new Atelje building at its current address – on the corner of Vlajkovićeva and Svetogorska Streets (formerly Lole Ribara Street). The new theater building was opened on December 30, 1964 with the premiere of the play “Ljubinko and Desanka” by Aleksandar Popović, directed by Rade Marković.
The reconstruction of the Atelier building began in 1988, and the new, adapted theater opened on August 1, 1992, with the premiere of the play "The Princess of the Folies-Bergère" by Georges Feydeau, directed by the then director Ljubomir Muci Draškić.